Thank you for inquiring about baptizing your child at St. Paul Catholic Newman Center. It is our hope that both you and the godparents will make a strong commitment to live out the Catholic faith that you will be teaching your child. This means making a commitment to attend Mass, receiving the Sacraments, and providing the kind of spiritual upbringing that will help your child become a strong and mature Catholic Christian.
General Information for Baptisms at St. Paul Catholic Newman Center
When are Baptisms celebrated at St. Paul Catholic Newman Center?
Baptisms (maximum of two) are celebrated monthly at either the 9:00am or 11:00am Sunday Mass. There is also a monthly baptismal service following the 11:00am Sunday Mass. Please see our calendar as the schedule varies. Please note: There are no Baptisms during Lent.
What do we need to do to have our child baptized?
Prior to scheduling a time and date for Baptism, parents must:
- be registered members of St. Paul Catholic Newman Center at least six months or provide a letter of permission from the pastor of the child's geographical church
- complete the baptism registration form
- provide a copy of the birth certificate
- pay the $40 registration fee
- participate in a baptism preparation class within the last two years and provide written proof of attendance - this class may attended at any parish
Whom should we choose as Godparents?
Choose relatives or friends who you feel will:
- serve as Christian models for your child
- help you in your duties as Christian parents
- witness their faith at the baptism and beyond
Requirements for godparents:
- must be practicing Catholics (provide letter from their parish/parishes)
- must be married in the Catholic Church (provide a certificate of Marriage)
- must provide copy of Confirmation certificate
- must attend a baptism preparation class within the last two years
Most parents choose two godparents; however, only one is required. If you choose only one, you may also choose a Christian witness (must also attend the baptism preparation class) to support you and your child’s faith development.
You may choose a proxy for the ceremony if a godparent cannot attend. Same requirements as a Godparent.
What should we know about the ceremony?
For baptisms during the Mass:
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before Mass begins. Parents, child, godparents, and siblings should be seated in the first few rows on the west side of the Chapel. “Reserved” signs will be on the seat at the end of the row.
For baptisms outside of Mass (12:30pm): Please congregate in the Community Room immediately following the 11:00am Mass. The presider will meet with you there.
You will receive a baptismal candle during the ceremony. If you prefer, you may bring a candle which you have purchased.
Parents are encouraged to clothe their children in a white garment or a white baptismal stole for the ceremony.
The customary donation for a baptism is $40 which should be presented at the time of registration.
Any offering to the priest or deacon should be given directly to him at the baptism.
Please contact Jenna 436-3434 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up for the baptism preparation class or if you have any questions.
These guidelines are designed to insure that the Sacrament of Baptism is fully appreciated by the parents, godparents, and all who are participating in your celebration. Please note: All required documentation must be received prior to the scheduling of baptism or your child’s baptism will be postponed.
Baptism Preparation Classes are held at 2:00pm in the Cafeteria
Upcoming Class Dates:
March – No Class
April 12, 2015
May 17, 2015
June 14, 2015
Baptism Ceremony Dates:
April 19, 2015 11:00AM Mass
April 26, 2015 12:30PM
May 24, 2015 9:00AM Mass
May 31, 2015 12:30PM
June 21, 2015 11:00AM Mass
June 28, 2015 12:30PM